Peanut Fun Facts
- It takes about 720 peanuts to make a pound of peanut butter!
- The average American child will eat 1500 pb&j's before the 12th grade!
- Peanut butter is consumed in 94% of homes
- In 1976, Tom Miller pushed a peanut to the top of Pikes Peak (14,000 feet) with his nose!
Peanuts Throughout History
- Peanuts were introduced to America by Africans in the early 1700s. Peanut butter however, in 1904.
- Peanuts originated in South America where they were cultivated by Indians for at least 2000 years.
- National Peanut Month had its beginnings as National Peanut Week in 1941. It was expanded to a month-long celebration in 1974.
- Two peanut farmers have been elected President of the United States: Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter.
Peanut Nutrition Facts
- Peanuts have more protein, niacin, and folates than any other nut!
- Peanut butter contains more than 30 essential nutrients making it one of the healthiest foods available. It's used to cure numerous diseases.
- Peanuts promote a healthy pregnancy because of the high folates which help reduce the risk of birth defects.
- Peanuts also boost memory, help fight depression, and reduce the risk of heart disease.